[Samba] Filenames apparently truncated when acessing Samba share from XP.

Richard Heggs richard.heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk
Wed Mar 9 16:39:18 GMT 2005

Hi List,

This one is puzzling me.  I suspect it is largely due to a badly-behaved
installer, but I would appreciate any help.  I'm so puzzled, I'm not even
sure how to explain the problem, but here goes...

I have a Samba 3.0.1 system on AIX 5.2, which a number of XP users connect to,
in order to access an application installed there.  The upgrade installer for
said application is causing me trouble.

The installer gets almost all the way through the process, unpacking files and
so on.  The problem occurs when it tries to run one of those files.

I can see this directory in My Computer, and using the DIR command in a dos
box:
G:\uniform7\hometest\installation

Ths installer is complaining that it cannot access
G:\uniform7\hometest\installation\definitions-SDE.bat
(which is definitely there)

Upon inspection I notice that when I use the 'ls' command from XP, I see that
all the files have been truncated (not mangled - I turned that off) to 8
characters.

I've tried with mangling turned on, and I get a slightly different error, in
that the file which the installer cannot find is mangled.

I suspect that the problem is that the installer is using an odd method of
file access, and is for some reason seeing the directory structure as XP's
'ls' does, rather than as XP's file explorer does.

Does anyone have any idea how I can make XP's 'ls' dispplay the full and
unmangled filename?

The share for this directory is:
[uniform]
   comment = Uniform
   path = /uniform05
   read only = no
   public = yes
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   mangle case = no
   mangled names= no

All suggestions gratefully received, I'm at a loss.

Cheers,
Richard

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content
and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.

views which are not the views of Nottingham City Council unless specifically
stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system,
do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that Nottingham City
Council monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will
signify your consent to this.