[Samba] [BUG] VFS Netatalk and OSX/OS9

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Wed Mar 9 15:37:50 GMT 2005

hi list,

i searched bugzilla but couldn't find an open/fixed bug for my problem:

[system]
- AMD Opteron 248, 8GB
- SuSE 9.1 Prof. x86_64
- Samba v3.0.11-2.1 from ftp.samba.org
(ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/Binary_Packages/SuSE/3.0/x86_64/9.1/)
- netatalk v2.0.2 (self compiled)

[situation]
we're accessing our samba fileserver (files, directories, ... ) from
different platforms (MacOS9, MacOSX, WinXP) and we're using the "vfs
objects =  netatalk" module in our shares to keep the forks in sync

[problem]
if i create a file from MacOS9 (AFP via netatalk) without extension and
move/rename it on a smb client samba doesn't take care for the fork - it
simply deletes the fork in .AppleDouble and the meta information for the
MAC is lost

if i create a file from MacOS9 (AFP via netatalk) with extension and
move/rename it on a smb client samba takes care for the fork!

if i create a file from MacOSX via smb without extension and move/rename
it on a smb PC (windows) the fork "._<name>" is not updated but the file
seems to be ok (icon is missing, but application opens correctly) - but
i have a zombie file left (old fork before moving/renaming)

we can reproduce this behaviour
i tried with veto settings but that makes no changes
i attached the smb.conf (a snip)

any help is appreciated
thanks in advance!!!

--