[Samba] Windows file permission abilities?

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Wed Mar 9 07:59:43 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 19:48, S Clark wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 07:08 pm, Aaron P. Martinez wrote:
> [...]

SNIPS

> To be honest, I'm still not sure what good it
> does - if you can WRITE to a file, you can effectively delete it.
> (Overwrite it with a different file and rename it.  Literally no different
> than deleting the original file then writing a new one, if NTFS handles
> deletions the same way that FATxx does (new file begins writing in the spot
> last vacated by the most recently deleted file...).  As far as I know,
> "append only" isn't very useful for most file - if I understand correctly
> (for example) when you load, edit, and save a "Microsoft Word" file, it
> completely re-writes the file, it doesn't just add changes to the end.
> (The one possible use for append-only that I can think of would be for
> plain-text log files...)

Well consider the case of a simple database file (Access or a product my
client uses called "Clients and Profits".  Users must be able to modify the
file (using the proprietary application on their workstations) but we don't
want them to actually drag it to the recycle bin or save a file with the same
file name over it.  So, yeah, "modify but not delete" would be a  useful
attribute.

So instead, I create a hidden share ( sharename ends in dollar sign -- e.g.
\\myserver\hiddenshare$ ) and point the application at it.  File is still
deletable, but harder for the clueless to accidentally access.