[Samba] Windows file permission abilities?

Aaron P. Martinez ml at proficuous.com
Wed Mar 9 02:08:55 GMT 2005

I'm potentially about to deploy a samba 3.0.11 file server on RHEL 3.4
or perhaps 4.0 and before i do i'm wondering if it can do a couple
things.  I read the howto and googled but didn't find exactly what i was
looking for.

Most importantly i'm wondering if it can implement the create dir/append
to file permissions.  My client wants users to be able to create files
on the server but have only a few people who can actually delete the
files.  I thought about using the "force user" and umask properties, but
wondered if when using samba as a domain controller the file permissions
would be the same as window's file permissions or if that is a function
of ntfs and samba always uses the unix file permissions.

Second thing that the client is requesting is for files on the server to
not be able to be copied to a remote storage device (prevent theft).
Lets say the user is at a workstation and her logon permits her to read
a specific file on the samba server.  She has a dvd burner or a usb
external drive, he doesn't want her to be able to copy the file either
directly to the device or to copy it to a local drive and then burn it.
He does however want the user to be able to burn dvds of locally stored
data, or from the user's samba $home directory.  I suspect this isn't
very feasible as if you can read the data you should be able to copy it
to your local machine and then put it wherever you want, but i figured
i'd doublecheck.

TIA,

Aaron Martinez