[Samba] Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

Dani Camps danicamps81 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 22:49:40 GMT 2005

I want a workgroup that spands two IP subnets. My
configuration is:

                     INTERNET

                     __eth1__
      |-----------eth0|________|eth2---------------|
192.168.0.0/24         Gateway
192.168.1.0/24

    <------------------------------------------------>
                     WORKGROUP

eth0:192.168.0.1 and gateway of the 192.168.0.0/24
eth2:192.168.1.1 and gateway of the 192.168.1.0/24
eth1:public IP, doing NAT of the internal subnets

The Gateway is a Fedora Core 3 box where I have Samba
installed. I have Samba configured to be a WINS server
in that machine.

What I have now and it doesn't work is the following:
In the gateway machine I have one instance of Samba
running with this configuration:
hosts allow=127. 192.168.0. 192.168.1.
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
interfaces=192.168.0.1/24 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.1/8
bind interfaces only=yes
#To be the DMB
domain master = yes
local master = yes
os level = 255
preferred master = yes
#To be the WINS server
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

So the Gateway machine is the local master browser, of
both subnets ? (I am not sure) and is the domain
master browser and the WINS server. Then all the
clients in both subnets are configured to use the WINS
server in either eth0 or eth1. This configuration
doesn't work at all and I don't understand why ...

Well looking at the post in the mailing list I see
that the most people what have is a local master
browser in each subnet, and then both LMB
syncrohronize each other using the "remote browse
sync" instruction. I can not do this since I don't
have a machines with samba in eeach subnet I only have
the gateway. Then my question is should I run in the
gateway two instances of samba each one listening on
one interface, being the LMB of its subnet and with
the "remote browse sync" option in each one, and
having one of the two instances act as a domain name
server and a WINS server?

If this is the case how can I run two instances of
Samba in the same machine ? The only thing I need is
another configuration file and passed it to samba when
I start it ? In each configuration file I would have:
interfaces=192.168.0.x
bind interfaces only=yes

Is this correct ? Any idea is apreciated I have
already been a quite long time dealing with this
question...

Thanks