[Samba] Help with multiple subnets

Dani Camps danicamps81 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 15:41:06 GMT 2005

I have two subnets in may LAN 192.168.0.0/24 and
192.168.1.0/24. Both subnets go out to the Internet
through a Linux box acting as a gateway, so the
gateway has one interface in each subnet (192.168.1.1
and 192.168.0.1). In both subnets I have Windows and
Linux machines and I want to configure SMB networking
using a workgroup (not a domain), so one workgroup for
more than one subnet.

I know that to enable SMB networking in multiple IP
subnets I need a domain master browser and one local
master browser per each subnet, or I need to use the
"remote browse sync" to make the local master browsers
in each subnet talk each other. My problem is that the
only machine that has a fixed IP in both subnets is
the Linux gateway. To use this "remote browse sync"
would I need two instances of samba one running in
each interface ? By now I just have one instance of
samba listening in both interfaces in the gateway
machine, in the gateway machine there is also a WINS
server.

I have this Linux gateway configured to be the domain
master and the local master browser, but I am bit
confused about if this machine is the local master
browser in both subnets or not.

Basically my configuration in the gateway is the
following:
hosts allow=127. 192.168.0. 192.168.1.
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
interfaces=192.168.0.1/24 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.1/8
bind interfaces only=yes
#To be the DMB
domain master = yes
local master = yes
os level = 255
preferred master = yes
#To be the WINS server
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

It's quite weird because if I check the
/var/cache/samba/browse.dat file in the gateway I see
that the machines in both subnets are there and in the
wins.dat file the ip of the machine is there. But then
when I try to browse the workgroup form a windows
machine I get the famous "Error 53" and I can not
browse the workgroup.

Thanks !