[Samba] machine account locations

HK thelistbox at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 01:05:15 GMT 2005

OK I'm confused.

Can machines be in ou=Computers,dc=somewhere,dc=net ?

Every thing works fine if I configure so that machine accounts are created under
ou=Users. If configured for machines to be in ou=Computers, I can't add a new
machine. Error returned is "The user name could not be found." This is from the w2k
machine itself.

The release notes for 3.0.11 seem to say adding machines under ou=Computers should
work.

The IDEALX Samba-OpenLDAP Howto (Revision 1.9) seems
to indicate it should work. But ldap.conf needs to be set to:
nss_base_passwd     dc=somewhere,dc=net?sub
nss_base_shadow     dc=somewhere,dc=net?sub
nss_base_group      ou=Group,dc=somewhere,dc=net?one
(I did this.)

The IDEALX Smbldap-tools User Manual (Release:0.8.7)
In section 6.9 on page 18 says no, _unless_ you apply the fix as listed above.

Note that the IDEALX howtos were released after Samba 3.0.11.

I'm using SUSE Pro 9.2 with all patches up to date.
Samba version is samba-3.0.11-2.1 from the binaries on the ftp site.

The /var/log/messages seem to indicate that
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
is trying to add the machine directly in dc=somewhere,dc=net.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hudson