[Samba] cannot list contents of share: kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-2, breaking

richard kennard stattler2000 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:35:18 GMT 2005

Dear All,

We've been running samba successfully in our environment for some months.
Last week we noticed that the list command when
run from any of our linux hosts against a share on a windows host no longer
works.

The specifics.
Windows 2000 domain with ddns, dhcp etc all fully operational.
Windows 2000 sp4 file server
Fedora Core 2 Linux hosts with samba 3.0.10
The Fedora hosts have a permanent mound to the windows share. (Line in
fstab)

The fedora boxes can list the contents of directories where the number of
files in them is less that around 640,
but any more than this and they do not return a directory listing.

Windows clients can see all the contents of the share without problems.

/var/log/messages shows:

Mar  7 08:40:14 fed1 kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-2, breaking

Rebooting hosts/server has had no effect.

If anyone can offer any pointers or suggestions I'd be greatfull. I've seen
this error apear in the archives/google
before but never an answer!!

Cheers!

Stattler