[Samba] hostnames resolve to wrong IPs - and sometimes sharesbecome inaccessible

Doug Campbell doug at bpta.net
Mon Mar 7 08:20:59 GMT 2005

> Environment: OpenBSD v 3.6 Release, Samba ver.: Samba 3.0.5
> LAN: 192.168.0.0/24, Samba servers: 2 installed replacing
> workgroup peer shares
> Windows version: XP Pro
>
> History: The 2 Sambas were installed last year and appear to have
> operated well until recently. Client admin now
> reports that, after some time connected to a shared directory,
> searching for files results in a Win error message to
> the effect of: Cannot access s:\ - Access is denied. Rebooting
> the Windows box allows access again.
>
> I cannot figure the possible cause except that WinXP was updated
> ~about~ the time the problems began. Need I
> say that they have no idea what function was affected by the update.
>
> Accessing remotely I see some strange behaviour. Running smbtree
> results in several errors about not being able
> to connect to some addresses that are remote.
>
> A snip of one message appears below:
> =====
>         \\FIFTY                         Cosmo
> Error connecting to 203.202.16.55 (Invalid argument)
> cli_full_connection: failed to connect to FIFTY<20> (203.202.16.55)
> =====
>
> That machine should be at 192.168.0.50 as shown by the nmblookup below:
> =====
> # nmblookup fifty
> creating lame upcase table
> creating lame lowcase table
> querying fifty on 192.168.0.255
> 192.168.0.50 fifty<00>
> =====
> I do not know if this is in any way connected because I had no
> reason to look at it before. I can connect, to the
> machines that throw errors in smbtree, using smbclient with the
> -I <IP address> option.
>
> Are these conneccted?
> What do I need to do to resolve the problem/s ?
> More diagnostics needed?
> Standing by.....
>
> I have 2 other clients with the same platform and mixed win
> versions reporting no problems.
>

> >From the land "down under": Australia.
> Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?
>
> Rod/

I had a similiar problem to yours, I believe.  It was caused when I switched
the IP address on my samba box.  I stopped samba.  Renamed the gencache.tdb
and wins.dat files located at /var/cache/samba.  Started samba back up.
Everything worked fine after that.  For me these cache files were causing
the old settings to stay around.

Doug