[Samba] hostnames resolve to wrong IPs - and sometimes shares become inaccessible

Rod Whitworth glisten at witworx.com
Mon Mar 7 05:21:03 GMT 2005

Environment: OpenBSD v 3.6 Release, Samba ver.: Samba 3.0.5
LAN: 192.168.0.0/24, Samba servers: 2 installed replacing workgroup peer shares
Windows version: XP Pro

History: The 2 Sambas were installed last year and appear to have operated well until recently. Client admin now
reports that, after some time connected to a shared directory, searching for files results in a Win error message to
the effect of: Cannot access s:\ - Access is denied. Rebooting the Windows box allows access again.

I cannot figure the possible cause except that WinXP was updated ~about~ the time the problems began. Need I
say that they have no idea what function was affected by the update.

Accessing remotely I see some strange behaviour. Running smbtree results in several errors about not being able
to connect to some addresses that are remote.

A snip of one message appears below:
=====
        \\FIFTY                         Cosmo
Error connecting to 203.202.16.55 (Invalid argument)
cli_full_connection: failed to connect to FIFTY<20> (203.202.16.55)
=====

That machine should be at 192.168.0.50 as shown by the nmblookup below:
=====
# nmblookup fifty
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
querying fifty on 192.168.0.255
192.168.0.50 fifty<00>
=====
I do not know if this is in any way connected because I had no reason to look at it before. I can connect, to the
machines that throw errors in smbtree, using smbclient with the -I <IP address> option.

Are these conneccted?
What do I need to do to resolve the problem/s ?
More diagnostics needed?
Standing by.....

I have 2 other clients with the same platform and mixed win versions reporting no problems.

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Rod/