[Samba] Printing through samba

Johnny johnny_blog at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 15:28:27 GMT 2005

I'm trying to set up a basic samba print server.  I don't need any access
control, but can set that up if it's the easiest way to get a working
configuration.  I have normal CUPS-based printing working, have used swat to set
up a basic configuration with a printer, created a samba-guest user, and
restarted samba.  I can see the printer using smbclient:

$ smbclient -L papa -N
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        share           Disk      Shared SMB space
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        psc             Printer   psc

... but cannot find a way to print to it.  Here are some things that don't work:

$ smbclient //papa/psc -N
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

$ smbclient  -U samba-guest -N //papa/psc
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

$ DEVICE_URI=smb://papa/psc smbspool < /etc/hosts
network smb "Unknown" "Windows Printer via SAMBA"

Is there some Unix command-line tool available that will send a print job to a
Samba print queue?