[Samba] LDAP mailing list for ldapsam people

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sat Mar 5 08:48:36 GMT 2005

People,

I came to Samba 3 or 4 weeks ago and now have a successful ldapsam 3.0.11
PDC installation for 1150+ users (around 80 Win 2000 and XP workstations)
running together with a DHCP server as an "afterthought" service on a
RHAS3 NAS server.

I adopted/adapted my already existent Openldap (2.2.17) DSE at that site)
and wrote to this list about my experiences. For example I couldn't use
the samba-ldap tools, hadn't reached Appendix A of the Official Samba
HOWTO yet and had to reinvent the wheel (my solution turned out to that
detailed in Appendix A).

I noticed on this list, that many people expect Samba/LDAP to be an
out-of-the box solution without really understanding the ins and outs of
LDAP. Sometimes the standard solutions don't work for them and they don't
know why.

Choosing the right version of OpenLDAP and configuring it correctly are
not child's play. It is not intuitive. Problems can come with:

Which OpenLDAP version to use
How to configure it best for Samba
How to configure Sleepycat BDB
DSE/DIT architecture
SSL/TLS configuration
ACL design
Security
Sources of information on the web, FAQs.

A suitable mailing list for these things would be ideal. However, the
OpenLDAP mailing list does not allow application-oriented questions; they
are considered OT.

The list master of the following mailing list has told me that samba LDAP
people would be welcome there. Subscribers to that list include many
OpenLDAP ML people who are open to discussion about the above topics and
more, and can help with them and more.

For more info, go to: