[Samba] idmap backend problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 4 18:44:22 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 11:30, Samba wrote:
>  I disagree.   According to the Release Notes the idmap_rid does NOT
> require an LDAP server.  The way I understand it is uses the last part
> of your SID to derive what your UID will be, thus you will have
> consistancy across your Sambas.

Correct. The idmap_rid facility uses the RID as the UID.

> I compiled my samba the same way and it is working however I am
> encountering problems with the winbind daemon while in this mode.  I
> have submitted another topic on this problem.

Please check the documentation in the chapter I added to the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection that is available on the Samba web site. If you have a
large number of users or groups it is necessary to disable winbind user and
group enumeration - otherwise performance issues will eat sambas' heart
out. :)

NOTE the above point please. In a site with a single domain and around 20,000
users user and group enumeration would kill the ability to use idmap_rid.
With these turned off everything seems to work OK.

> Did you setup your /etc/nsswitch.conf file ?

From the posting I am guessing the original poster had done that.

- John T.