[Samba] idmap backend problems

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Mar 4 14:39:08 GMT 2005

>After reading the docs, I get the impression that I should use a idmap
>backend to have consistent uid's. Am I correct?

Not so much, you're on the right path tho.  The idmap is primarily to
give a mapping between unix uids and windows SIDs when the users come
from an AD system or something of that nature.  Basically if you don't
have real unix users you use winbind and idmap to get it done... if I
understand correctly.  I don't use either.

>I don't have an LDAP server, and I'd prefer not to add another service
>to the chain, so I recompiled samba with

That's essentially what you need to do unfortunately.  You need to store
the mapping someplace globally accessable for both machines to read it.
I see the light bulb going off in your head WRT storing the idmap file
on an nfs mount or some other shared filesystem, don't do it, it won't work.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.