[Samba] OW #10.08 - Offers too good to be true

OFFICE Watch wow-robot at woodyswatch.com
Fri Mar 4 13:35:17 GMT 2005

                 --==>> OFFICE WATCH <<==--
    The Microsoft Office newsletter from Woody's Watch.
Your independent source for MS Office advice and news since 1996
                  4 March 2005	Vol 10 No 8
New! "The Desktop Search Handbook" - http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/

Advertise in Woody's Watch - great rates, great reach, no hard sell.  Ask Jan  ow.ads at woodyswatch.com

1. Editing incoming messages
2. Preventing Editing of your messages
3. Too good to be true
4. Publisher 2003 for $50
5. Save Attachments
6. Keep OW Alive and Free

>>> Got Office? Get OfficeRecovery! <<<
There is up to 99% of useful data in a file that won't open anymore. Get it back with data recovery utilities for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, SQL Server, Outlook, Exchange and other applications. Available standalone and in OfficeRecovery suites. Use yourself, tell colleagues.
*** Click http://ref.OfficeRecovery.com/?wow for a free demo. ***

Need a new PC but cannot afford one? Buy ReCertified DELL with full warranty from http://www.tkoeducation.com - from $119!

______
1. EDITING INCOMING MESSAGES
Thanks to everyone who wrote in about Outlook's ability to edit an incoming message.   http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v10-n06  For many readers it's just a handy feature but for anyone in the legal or corporate world it could have interesting consequences.

I think the best summary can from James R who wrote:

"After working for many years for a legal department consulting on various IT issues, it has become remarkably clear to me that the law puts way more stock in the integrity of e-mail than is deserved. Email messages are edited enroute to there final destination every day. Most times these changes are innocuous, beneficial and mostly identified by the system doing the changes. However, it is a far leap from the integrity assumed by lawyers, and to be fair the vast majority of the e-mailing population "

While there's a difference between the changes to the email header made enroute and changes in the substance of the message - his point is a good one.  It's a mistake to treat emails as having the same verifiable integrity as a printed document.  Unlike a paper document, an email can be changed without trace and that needs to be acknowledged by everyone.

It's worth remembering that not only received items can usually be edited but the 'Sent Items' copy of message you send can be edited after sending.  So it is possible for someone to change their record of an email that was sent.

Far be it for us to give legal advice but we suspect that any savvy legal department is covering themselves by putting some form of disclaimer that says the emails supplied are as found and there's no guarantee that the messages have not been edited after receipt. The same applies to government departments subject to Freedom of Information laws.
_______

New Software! ResearchPro puts a filing cabinet on your computer. Copy/paste news, articles, web pages, etc, or type in directly. Search, share, and manage your information. Import and export Access, Excel, and Word. Academic or professional research; anyone with a hobby. 25% discount: Office_P25.
 www.researchprosoftware.com

_______
Finding your way through all those old documents and worksheets was a horrible task until the fantastic new and free tools for all Office users; Google, MSN, Yahoo, Copernic and Microsoft.  They all have their pros and cons - choosing one isn't easy - so Woody's Watch has made

                The Desktop Search Handbook
                   an Office Watch guide
              http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/

Which products search not just Word and Excel documents but other formats like WordPerfect and Quattro Pro? Which ones can find documents inside compressed ZIP files?  How can you search Microsoft OneNote files even though Microsoft's own products don't support it?

This is the Woody's Watch teams first ebook - over 65 pages of in-depth and original info and how to's on the major desktop search products.  Searchable text and color images throughout - naturally.

* All new and expanded content

* NO advertising - 65 pages plus appendices.

* In depth reviews and how to for the major Desktop Search products
    o Copernic Desktop
    o Google Desktop Search
    o Lookout for Outlook
    o MSN Toolbar Suite
    o Yahoo Desktop

* Simple guide to making desktop searching work even better for you.
    o Effective indexing
    o Simple searching and beyond.
    o Tips on how to effectively index audio, video, OneNote, web caches and PDF's.
    o Search Command Reference

NEW - quicker delivery.  Thanks to some programming smarts from Claudia and Claude we now send the link to your personal copy of the e-book fast -  usually within minutes of your paid order.

Even if you have a Desktop Search program The Desktop Search Handbook has tips on how to get the most from these new tools and details on any add-ons that are available.

Not only do you get the ebook but you also get FREE updates / new editions as they are released during 2005.  We'll update the book as new and revised Desktop Search programs are released.

Value for only US$14.95 but great value for Woody's Watch subscribers who pay just US$9.95 - our gift to those of you who have supported us over the years.  We have options to pay in Canadian dollars, Sterling, Euro, Yen and Aussie dollars too.

Check it out at http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/  not only do we think you'll get a lot from the book and free updates -- but buying The Desktop Search Handbook is a practical way to support Woody's Watch as a free and independent newsletters.

NEW! There's now a special diskette edition available via Amazon USA - so you can add a copy of the Desktop Search Handbook to your regular Amazon shopping cart.
http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/AmazonUS.asp

_______
2. PREVENTING EDITING OF YOUR MESSAGES
There's a few ways to block the editing of a message you have sent but they are by no means fool-proof.

In an all Outlook situation (ie sender and receiver) then marking the outgoing message as 'Private' will make the message body un-editable by the receiver.  Strange, hardly obvious but true.  You can mark an outgoing as Private in the View Menu, Options, Sensitivity.

Beyond the narrow confines of Outlook you can send the message with a digital signature attached.  The signature should verify the sender and if the message is changed, the certificate should display an error.  Sadly digital signing of emails has been poorly implemented in Outlook (it is there but it's a pain to use and receive) and isn't universally accepted so it is not the solution it could be.

Of course once you hit the Reply or Forward button you can edit the contents of the message to your hearts content but that doesn't change the contents of the original incoming message.
_______

Convert Records and Cassettes to CD or MP3
Many great recordings are never released on CD. Convert records and cassettes to CD, MP3, or WMA. Your PC and home stereo are the only hardware required! Step-by-step instructions show you how. Start preserving your music investment today! Download this comprehensive guide to learn how.
http://www.convertfromvinyl.com

_______

3. TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
Some prominent ads have been appearing on the web offering Microsoft Office, among other products, at very low prices and with immediate download.  Usually these offers are via spam or obscure web sites but we've seen one site advertising prominently, some might say shamelessly, on Google.

With a retail price of US$500 and legitimate street prices around $390 or less for Office 2003 Professional then an offer of US$69.95 looks good, but only the most optimistic or na‹ve buyer would think that there isn't something very strange going on.  When you see Autodesk products for $100 instead of $3,750 then surely alarm bells ring.

US$70 is well below the wholesale price to legitimate retail outlets, and furthermore Microsoft's main products like Windows and Office are not legally available for sale via download.  You have to buy them as a 'box product' with a CD or bundled with a new computer.

Mostly likely these sites are selling downloads of the readily available 'pirate' versions of software that almost anyone can get from a peer-to-peer web service.  Assuming you get any kind of download at all (or your credit card isn't misused in some way) then the software won't have any support and most likely won't qualify for updates from Microsoft.  And that assumes that the software will install properly and run at all.

Redmond's product activation system is being increasingly used to prevent access to product updates as well as allowing access to the software in the first place.

We asked Microsoft for comment on this particular web site and to confirm that sales via download was not available for their core products.  We also asked them to confirm that the retail price on offer by the site was well below the wholesale price.

Microsoft declined to answer our questions and would say only that "we will not be able to confirm whether or not (web site).com is selling legitimately".  We find that response to be disappointing but unsurprising.

For many years Microsoft has 'battled' piracy but has placed the obligation on their customers to know if they are buying legitimate software or not.  In this case it's pretty likely from the prices and method of delivery that the software is pirated - but if Microsoft can't or won't say whether it is legitimate or not - how do they expect customers to know?

On the company's anti-piracy web site it has plenty of generic information but nothing that covers this common situation of a web site selling Microsoft software for immediate download.

Microsoft loves painting Office Watch as the enemy - but in situations like this we try to do the right thing and get stonewalled.  Makes us wonder how serious Microsoft really is about software piracy.

If you want a good and legal deal on Office 2003 it is still hard to go past the Student and Teacher Editions we talked about in http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v9-n17
_______

OFFICE 2003 TIMESAVING TECHNIQUES FOR DUMMIES Woody's book is available now - click here for a list of online booksellers http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764567616  or try our new online store http://shop.woodyswatch.com

_______

4. PUBLISHER 2003 FOR $50
Much as I hate mail-in rebates, the bottom line on this offer from Amazon is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BZM38/ref=nosim/woodsoffiwatcwoo

Publisher normally sells for US$169 and Amazon offers it for US$130 but then there's mail-in rebates amounting to $80 making the final price only $50.

If you're willing to wait and live in hope of receiving the pesky rebates then it's a good deal, but rebates are so unreliable and slow you'd be forgiven for ignoring this offer altogether.  Vendors budget that many customers will simply forget to send in their rebate forms, and that non-receipt of a rebate check will probably be also overlooked.

There's a great marketing opportunity for the online retailer who arranges to by-pass the mail-in rebates and offer direct discounts at time of purchase.  Amazon would have the clout to do it - how about it Mr Bezos?

5. SAVE ATTACHMENTS
We're not too concerned about the size of our Outlook PST/OST file especially since Outlook 2003 has lifted the size limit on the main data file.  We like having the file attachments in Outlook partly because deleting them is time wasting and partly because they are a useful informal backup.

But we know many readers do fret about attachments cluttering up their Inbox and for those people, it is nice to report that You Software has a utility that can move file attachments to one or more folders on your hard drive.

Check it out at http://www.yousoftware.com/save/  for US$29.95

6. KEEP OW ALIVE AND FREE
If you like the no-nonsense style you see in this newsletter - the straight scoop, whether Microsoft likes it or not, dished out in a way that won't put you to sleep - get one of Woody Leonhards  books!

"Office 2003 Timesaving Techniques for Dummies" , Wiley
http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764567616

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2003" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789729555

"Windows XP Timesaving Techniques For Dummies", Wiley
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764537482

"Windows XP All-In-One Desk Reference For Dummies, 2nd Edition", Wiley
     http://woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764574639

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office XP" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789725134

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2000" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789718421

ADMINISTRIVIA
If you want to know about subscribing, unsubscribing, changing your address, making comments, distributing copies of OW - or you want to read about how we protect your privacy, or any of the usual legal mumbo-jumbo, please hop over to your very own personalized OW page at http://woodyswatch.com/info.asp?wow=samba@lists.samba.org .

This copy of OW was originally sent to samba at lists.samba.org

ADVERTISING
You, too, can reach the largest group of influential Office users on the planet for a mere pittance... send a message to Jan mailto:ads at woodyswatch.com and our ad folks will send you details.

Woody's Watch happily uses Dundee Internet for all web & list hosting http://www.dundee.net/isp/default.asp

OFFICE Watch
Copyright 2005 by Peter Deegan. All rights reserved. ISSN 1328-1674.

Leaving us?  Forward (don't reply) this message to   leave-wow-55267396M at lists.woodyswatch.com
   [samba at lists.samba.org]