[Samba] Request to update slapd.conf and OpenLDAP info for Samba-Guide/happy.html

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Mar 4 05:47:03 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra:

[...]

> The appendix information I added to "Samba-3 by Example" was put there so
> that the information would not be lost. and so that others could use it to
> expand the technique to suit more complex environments.
>
> Unfortunately, the complexity barriers of Samba plus LDAP is proving a lot
> more than some sites are willing to endure. The discussions we have had on this
> mailing list regarding LDAP configuration problems as well as the importance
> of getting the UID=0 situation right are of benefit to many and a turn-off to
> a few people also. In many ways, for us and for them, it is probably better
> that they get turned off sooner, rather than create something that might be
> more negative later on. For those of us who have found the right solution
> Samba is liberating.

John,

There's  a comparatively new mailing list for people who need to discuss the
interoperability between (especially Open)LDAP and other products, a subject
that's OT on the OpenLDAP list. A number of clued-up and helpful people (who
don't all share my views :) subscribe, who don't subscribe to this list; I've
written to the list master to see if he's mind if Samba people subscribe for
discussion of LDAP-specific Samba questions.

Typical topics might be:

Which OpenLDAP version to use
How to configure it best for Samba
How to configure BDB
DSE/DIT architecture
SSL/TLS configuration
ACL design
Security
Sources of information on the web, FAQs.

We'll see if we're welcome there.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl