[Samba] Winbind - how to map ADS group to Unix group

Choudary Mumtaz asadmumtaz1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 00:29:46 GMT 2005

It might be a very silly way to do it, but this is how I accomplished it as I never got any help from the group during my setup. Most of the tools provided by Samba didn't work for me, and I haven't been able to figure out the problem.
I have added all the respective SAMBA groups to local /etc/group, so here you may make test2 member of "Domain Users" group, and it will work. If you would like a take a quick look at my setup, please feel free to visit http://www.miracletechs.com/sambainstall.html.
Thank you.

"Miles, Noal" <noal.miles at tdstelecom.com> wrote:
Winbind is configured for ads.
I want "Domain\Domain Users" to be members of local linux group "test2".

I created a local group on the linux box:
Groupadd -u 502 test2

I have tried net groupmap addmem, it tells me the syntax is
Net groupmap addmem alias-sid member-sid

There is no SID for test2 so how can I use "net groupmap addmem"?
Wbinfo -G 502
Cannot convert gid 502 to sid

Net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain\Domain Users" unixgroup=test2
Successfully added group "Domain\Domain Users" to the mapping db

Getent group test2
Test2:x:502:
So this doesn't work either.

I have also tried username map in smb.conf with no success.

I appreciate the suggestions thus far. Any additional help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Noal