[Samba] Problems saving Excel sheets using Office 97 on a Samba share

Brandon Laing Brandon.Laing at vancoservices.com
Thu Mar 3 20:47:57 GMT 2005

Hey all,

We're having some trouble saving Excel documents on our Samba Fileserver. We are moving people over to our Samba box, and have moved most of our documents over.
Now, we have people opening their Excel documents, but are unable to save them. When something is saved, we see this message:

Your changes could not be saved to 'document.xls', but were saved to a temporary document named '349rgjh928'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary
document and save it under a new name.

Now, these users have full access to the folder in which they're trying to save these sheets. New documents can be created an deleted without any problem, so it doesn't
appear to be a permissions problem. However, if I manually set the document owner to the user trying to save the document, it seems to save without a problem. Of course,
this isn't a viable option, as we have multiple people accessing these documents all the time, and as a group, they have full access to these folders.

So, I'm wondering what I can do on this system to resolve this issue. I know we're using an old version of Excel, but it still works for what we need. Our version of Samba is
3.0.10-1.fc2, and we are running on a Fedora Core 2 system. The clients connecting are using Windows XP Home, and have Excel 97 SR-2.

Any ideas on what I can do to clear this up? I can post config files if needed, but as of right now, it's almost the default with just the share volume set up.

Thanks,
Brandon