[Samba] Win XP profile problem...

luca rasponi lucarasp at inwind.it
Thu Mar 3 18:26:30 GMT 2005

Mike Cisar wrote:
> I'm hoping someone may have run across this issue before.

I do!!

  I have a client
> running a relatively recent version of Samba (the exact version number
> escapes me at the moment).  Windows XP client machines running against samba
> as a PDC with roaming profiles active.
>
> They can log off just fine, and their profile gets successfully written to
> the server... likewise when they log back on to the server the profile is
> downloaded from the server just fine.
>
> *BUT* files on their desktop or favorites or whatever that they have deleted
> from their system since the last logoff come back.  It seems as if although
> the profile gets updated, files that have been deleted from the computer's
> profile do not get deleted from the network copy of the profile and then get
> returned to the computer on next login.  Files that are modified or added
> seem to be fine, it's just the deleted ones that cause grief.
>
> Has anyone seen this issue before?

I do!!

This, in my small experience, happens most likely when a user log on
different machines (I'm not sure about this, and I'm not able to
reproduce this behaviour)

I've seen in machine logs, that, especialliy with winXP >=SP1, the
client disconnect prematurely from profiles service during logoff, or
something like that.

I've tryed to set "requiresignorseal" to "0" in winXP register, with no
luck.

The only workaround is to delete the user's roaming profile folder from
the PDC. At first logon, local profile is loaded, and during logoff is
successfully created into the PDC's profiles folder.

I'm currently using samba 3.0.7 on fedora core 1, but I'm planning to
upgrade to 3.0.11 asap. I've read that from 3.0.9 on, some problems (the
nature of which I don't know) with roaming profiles have been solved.

> Cheers,

Ciao!

luca