[Samba] Request to update slapd.conf and OpenLDAP info forSamba-Guide/happy.html

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:45:15 GMT 2005

John H. Terpstra wtote:

> Unfortunately, the complexity barriers of Samba plus LDAP is
> proving a lot more than some sites are willing to endure.

  And yet the integration of Samba & LDAP is so powerful, so attractive,
that many of us cannot resist battering ourselves senseless against it
like moths at a bulb. :7)

> For those of us who have found the right solution Samba
> is liberating.

   ...And for the rest of us, it's like waifs pressing our noses against
the shop window, looking in hungrily.
   I think I'm not alone in being a UNIX system admin in a Windows shop
who needs to do "all the work" to get the two systems to share
information, and who is learning as he goes along. If it would be
possible to write up a "phrasebook" for us to use in prying the correct
information out of the Windows admins, that would be incredibly useful:
we don't know what we don't know, and that's usually where projects like
this break down.
   The Samba suite is *so* useful and flexible that I'll keep working on
making it get my Suns to interoperate with our Active Directory, but
it's going to be a long haul, especially if "it is probably better that
they get turned off sooner"!
  Anyway, thank you, John, Andrew, Jerry & the rest of the Samba team,
for this whole project. It makes my job easier and it's just
aesthetically satisfying to know it even exists. Keep up the good work.
-wde
P.S. Only venting, and now I'll get back to work...on re-compiling
Samba.
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator