[Samba] A probably silly thought but...

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Thu Mar 3 14:10:30 GMT 2005

S Clark wrote:
> Here's a completely off-the-wall thought.
>
> I have no idea if it would work, but would it be possible for you to combine
> the two RAID5 systems into a "software" RAID1 system?  Perhaps via iSCSI?
>
> Kind of an overcomplicated method for doing what you need, but it WOULD keep
> both sets of RAID5 arrays in sync with each other in realtime, and would
> allow things to keep running without a pause even if one of the RAID5 systems
> failed.

the problem again: if filesys is damaged all your raids are unusable

[Mitch]
>As an example, in one test a daily rsync took over 20 minutes, while
>the rsync hourly took only 2 minutes... sure it adds up to more time
in >total to rsync more often, but if the systems can handle the load...
the problem: to analyze all files/dirs (ATM ~2,1Billion) rsync needs
more than half an hour

i think twice a day is comfortable for everyone here @ work

cheerz

--