[Samba] samba failed to authenticate to openLDAP

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Thu Mar 3 10:58:07 GMT 2005

Paul Gienger:

>> 2: doing that nearly fscked up my already existent DIT for always;
>>

> I'd be very interested in hearing how this happened and what almost got
> borked.  I can't for the life of me think of anything that the
> smbldap-tools package should have done above just adding random attributes
> and entries in a lot of places if badly configured.  The worst (again,
> that I can imagine) that you would have had to do would be clean with a
> fine tooth scrub brush.
>
> I haven't delved deep into the code, so I don't doubt that things could
> be pretty powerful, just that I haven't seen how they could go far enough
> to completely bork up a whole LDAP database.

The smbldap-tools allow for only one group suffix, only one user suffix.

At a site, I already have a DIT with 1150+ users:

rootdn
      | ou=directors
                    cn=director1
                    cn=director2
      | ou=teachers
                    cn=teacher1
                    cn=teacher2
      | ou=staff
                    cn=member1
                    cn=member2
      | ou=pupils
                    cn=pupil1
                    cn=pupil2
      | ou=system
                 | ou=pykota
                 | ou=smb

etc.

Even worse, at my test site I have:

rootdn
      | ou=groups
                 | cn=people (Posix group)
                            cn=person1
                            cn=person2
      | ou=smb

etc.

The tools can't cope. What's more, LAM can't cope with my test site,
either (wants an ou for a container, won't accept a cn). Neither you nor
anyone else can tell me that my architecture is wrong ;)

I've written my own awk script for adding basic Posix users to groups
(from lists of first-middle-last names) and my own (disjointed) shell
scripts for adding Samba users to Posix users (using ldapsearch).

Best,

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl