[Samba] Any ideas on splitting my profiles directory

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Thu Mar 3 07:36:43 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 13:05, Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I have 2 250gig drives in my machine and one has 50 gig on it and the
> other with my profiles directory in it has 219 gig.  Is there a way to
> "split" my profiles directory. These are ide drives and I will not be
> mirroring them. My entry in smb.conf reads:
>
> [profiles]
>
> path=/data/profiles
> browsable = Yes
> readonly = no
> create mask = 600
> directory mask = 700
> profile acls = yes

Mirroring would not solve your problem, I think you meant striping.

>From your post it sounds like the secondary drive is mounted on a directory
called /data on the first drive. I'm going to imagine you have /dev/hda1 for
/, /dev/hda2 for swap and /dev/hdc1 is your second drive

So your /etc/fstab might have something like these three entries (and some
others, not relevant here)

/dev/hda1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda2              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc1               /data                   ext3    defaults        1 1

Perhaps you can split your profiles by primary group:
Change the profile path to something like /profiles/%g/
Make subdirectories to /profiles corresponding to group name.
Mount the secondary drive on the subdirectory corresponding to the group who
uses the largest amount of disk space. (don't forget to update /etc/fstab),
and finally, move the other groups over to their proper directories on the
primary drive.

(test on a non-production system first!)