[Samba] Re: Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Mar 3 02:44:18 GMT 2005

Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error:
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUNDFrom: Timothy D Newcomb
Subject: Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error:
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

> Did you get an answer for this ?  I am seeing it on an XP box and I have
> the same problem..slow load time...in "my computer"

Tim,

    No I didn't, thanks for the reply. I just figured that JT, Gerry and
Chris were busy with 3.0.12 and didn't have time to respond (either that or
they just started hating me for some reason) I still haven't got to the
bottom of it. I can use ethereal without a problem, but I am no expert in
deciphering the results.

    The problem seems to come from either the SMB Trans2 Response or the SMB
Create AndX Response as shown below:

SMB Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Query File Basic Info, Path:
\personal\soccer\foo
SMB Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
<3 second snip>
SMB NT Create AndX Request, Path: \personal\soccer\wiashext.dll
SMB NT Create AndX Response, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
NBNS     Name query NB NEMESIS<20>
DNS      Standard query A Nemesis.3111skyline.com
NBNS     Name query response[Malformed Packet]
DNS      Standard query response, No such name
DNS      Standard query A Nemesis.3111skyline.com
DNS      Standard query response, No such name
NBNS     Name query NB NEMESIS<00>
NBNS     Name query response[Malformed Packet]

    Once the AndX Response error occurs, it seems to through XP into some
sort of loop where it queries each of the mapped drives or each of the
folders listed under "My Network Places" with netbios and dns requests. This
cause fits for a laptop where some of the connections are not established
(like when your working at home - the work server isn't there, etc..)

    Who knows, maybe John, Gerry or Chris will show some mercy on us this
time and give us a response? Or at least tell us to RTFM and point us to a
link we missed googling the issue.

    Thanks for the reply Tim.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.