[Samba] AD group membership limits?

Kaplan, Marc marc_kaplan at adaptec.com
Wed Mar 2 21:24:28 GMT 2005

Simon,

Yes, I have recompiled the kernel with support for a static NGROUPS with
a patch from tridge and Rusty Russell. This does not seem to cause any
problems at all on Samba servers, or with the Linux box in general and
it does properly allow more supplementary groups.

Here is what I used IIRC:
http://ccache.samba.org/ftp/tridge/misc/more_groups_simple.patch
http://ccache.samba.org/ftp/tridge/misc/maxgroups.patch

Though I just checked on this, and maybe support for dynamic NGROUPS is
now in the 2.6 kernel? See:
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/changelog/v2.6/4/

		-Marc
Simon
> Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:58 AM
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] AD group membership limits?
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Samba 3.0.11 on RedHat ES 3 kernel version
2.4.21-15.0.4.ELsmp
> and have a quick question about AD group membership limits
>
> Am I right in assuming that Samba is limited by the group membership
> parameters (ie NGROUP = 32) imposed by the Linux kernel? Is there any
> workaround in Samba for this?
>
> At the moment if a user is a member of more then 32 domain groups they
> cannot access any shares. If I remove some of the groups to below the
32
> group limit everything is fine.
>
> If there isn't a workaround in Samba has anyone reliably recompiled
the
> kernel and run Samba after changing the group parameters?
> I guess this must be a fairly common problem in a lot of sites?
>
> Any help with this much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

**
> ******
> The information contained in this email message may be confidential.
If