[Samba] Audit Trail/Logging For Network Logons and Logoffs

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at kaman.com
Wed Mar 2 17:48:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 12:51 -0700, Gene Cooper wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have searched the archives and the web for this issue, but I haven't
found
> an answer.
>
> I need to be able to log or audit the network access of our network users.
> This information needs to be used in conjuction with a time and attendance
> punch clock.
>
> I have seen much discussion of using preexec and postexec for obtaining a
> network access log.  However, my testing has shown this as unreliable.  It
> seems Windows logs in and logs out at (nearly) random and the collected
> information seems useless as I haven't discovered a useful way to collect
or
> parse the collected information.  I have tested on various shares as well.

Are you just looking for logon/logoff times?  I think you can put something
in the logon/logoff scripts that will do that.

Logon tracking:
@echo off
echo %USERNAME% Logon >> \\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log  & date /t >>
\\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log & time /t >>
\\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log

Logoff tracking:
@echo off
echo %USERNAME% Logoff >> \\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log  & date /t >>
\\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log & time /t >>
\\server\hiddenshare\%USERNAME%.log

I'm not using logoff scripts, but I googled "NT +"logoff scripts"" and
came up with a bunch of promising links.  They point to either
Policy settings or GINA to enable/control logon/logoff settings.

Hope this helps,
  Jim Van Sickler