[Samba] Time out tuning ?

Samba List Unetix sambalist at unetix.nl
Wed Mar 2 14:49:40 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 February 2005 18:19, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a samba server running at a customer site and they have the
> > follwing problem:
> > Employees of that company have for extended periods sometimes
> > word documents opened for editing, but it happens regularly that
> > for an half hour or more no activity takes place because they are
> > working on something else (it's a flower seed growing company , with pc's
> > in the glasshouses and they have to monitor the seedbeds and fill in
> > now and then something in in word documents). When that happens
> > the word application returns a message that , "There was a sharing
> > violation"
>
> ,.....
>
> > Is this caused by a time out on the server? or the client? Is it possible
> > to configure the samba server to forcefully keep the connection between
> > the
> > client and the server alive?
>
> [Mitch says:] Are there any VPN's, smart switches or routers involved?
>
> I've not seen any app timeout problems with my servers, but I know that
> some routers or VPN arrangements have short timeouts / lack keep alive and
> can cause this sort of behaviour.

Hai,
nope , no vpn's , smart switches or anything else , one plain c network
connected on one switch.
It's more that I wonder whether it's a time out problem or something else,
I have never seen myself timeout problems (if they exist at all) on my
servers, but this is very specific related to a longer period of time the
word application not being used which generates the error on an open
document. Maybe I should first upgrade to 3.0.11 and then search further.

Thanx
Wim Bakker