[Samba] Seeking Good Documentation for... (freebsd+ldap+samba(pdc)+kerberos)

Chris Lawder chris at number41media.com
Tue Mar 1 23:43:33 GMT 2005

... Setting up a Samba PDC with the following:

FreeBSD 5.3
Samba 3.0.x
OpenLDAP 2.2.x
Kerberos (Heimdal)

Would like LDAP to take care of both posixAccount(s) and
sambaSamAccount(s). Posix account via nsswitch+pam_ldap.

Hope to find one complete documentation that describes this setup from
scratch, start to finish. A Ports style install of all packages is fine
but I can download, compile and install packages by hand if needed.

Problem I am currently having is that I can set up a kerberos server and
an ldap server, access both and use ldap for authentication to both the
system and samba. I can add users via smbpasswd and use those users (in
ldap) to access shares. Where I run into problems is trying to add
computers (Windows 2kPro) from the windows systems. Have tried much
playing around at this point but am unable to figure out the
configuration that allows for this.

I have been working from the O'Reilly LDAP book and various differing
documentation I have found on the net. The O'Reilly book describes a
Samba 2.x style samba.schema but I have moved to a 3.x samba.schema set
up now as I attempt to learn this. My current Kerb/LDAP server is
FreeBSD 5.3. The Samba PDC is Slackware 10 and it's lack of PAM support
is possibly causing some issues but do not know for sure. I want to drop
Slackware at this point and make the PDC FreeBSD 5.3 as well. I want to
keep the Kerb/LDAP server separate from the PDC. I don't have the
resources to separate the Kerberos and LDAP servers at this time.

I hope to have documentation that describes setting up the needed ldap
containers and how to populate them. I have worked from the samba.org
documentation too but found I got stuck at a few points. This
documentation shows me ldif examples of how records should look but I
didn't get a good idea of how to add these records. I didn't believe
that copying those and ldapadd(ing) them would be best due to wrong data
in fields such as sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword. Maybe I wasn't
looking in the right places of the samba.org docs?

I hope this well describes what I am hoping to find. Thank you all in
advance.

Chris

--

Number 41 Media Corporation