[Samba] Access Problems

Harry Knitter harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
Tue Mar 1 19:27:08 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a very strange access problem, and do not know how to get rid of it.

We have a server with a Raid 1 installed running under SuSE 9.2 (Samba
3.0.9-2.3).
There are some shares where several users need access to. The permissions of
the directories are
rwxrwxr-x  user1   users

when files on that shares are accessed by a Windows Client a strange behaviour
occurs.
Accessing files with Excel or Access (opening changing and saving them)
results in a change oft the permissions, so that the group doesn´t have write
permissions any more. The same change of permissions occurs when a Backup
over the LAN from a Windows Client is made of these directories.
Other programs like Word or Notepad leave the permissions alone.
First I thought ist was a problem of Posix ACLs that I first had set to the
whole home-directory (see my mail a few days ago).
However, the problem remained after deleting these ACLs and the default ACL I
had set to the home-directory.
I have tried a lot of things, but couldn´t get the problem solved.

Another strange thing I observed ist that different users belonging to the
same group get different permissions for new files.
some have
rw-rw-rw
others
rw-r--r--
others
rw-rw-r--
in their home-directories (share [homes])
I hope anyone can help me. I´m really desperate.

Harry

Here is the whole smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/03/01 14:46:24

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
	interfaces = eth0
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	map to guest = Never
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log level = 1
	syslog = 5
	time server = Yes
	printcap name = CUPS
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon drive = H:
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	ldap ssl = no
	admin users = @ntadmin, root, administrator
	printer admin = user1, user2
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
	profile acls = Yes
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
	comment = %Us Daten auf  %L
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 0770
	browseable = No
	inherit acls = yes
	map archive = no

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/tmp
	create mask = 0600
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
	write list = @ntadmin, root
	force group = ntadmin
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775

[daten]
	comment = Alle Daten auf %L
	path = /home
	valid users = user1,user2, administrator, root
	admin users = administrator, root
	read only = No
	map archive = no
[test]
	comment = Alle Daten auf %L
	path = /test
	admin users = administrator, root
	read only = No
	map archive = no

[netlogon]
	path = /home/netlogon
	write list = Administrator, root

[alles]
	comment = Gemeinsame Dateien auf %L
	path = /home/alle
	admin users = administrator, root
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	inherit acls = no
	map archive = no

[db]
	comment = Datenbank
	path = /home/db
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	inherit acls = no
	map archive = no

[Trumpf]
	comment = Laser
	path = /home/alle/Daten/Trumpf
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	map archive = no

[GL]
	path = /home/chefs
	valid users = user1,user2, administrator
	admin users = administrator
	read only = No
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 0770
	map archive = no

[install]
	path = /home/install
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	map archive = no

[Office]
	path = /home/install/Office
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	map archive = no

[OfficePro]
	path = /home/install/OfficePro
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	map archive = no

[fs1000]
	comment = Kyocera Mita FS-1000+
	path = /var/tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	printable = Yes
	printer name = fs1000
	oplocks = No
	share modes = No
[pdf]
	comment = PDF creator
	path = /var/tmp
	printable = Yes
	print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z %z
	create mask = 0600

--
Dr. Harry Knitter
Hans-Herold-Str. 20

Tel. 09221-97663
Fax. 09221-97664
harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
gpg key-ID 8A0657DB
Fingerprint
AE7B 61F1 ACC2 5944 A29A 8C31 2D12 2190 8A06 57DB