[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 doesn't work on Fedora Core 2

Philip Burrow philburrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 11:14:27 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 09:46 +0300, Dmitry V. Korotkov wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I am not alone. Philip Burrow
>>[http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-February/100848.html]
>>has the same problem on Fedora Core 1.
>>
>>I've downloaded samba-3.0.11-1.src.rpm from samba.org, built samba RPM
>>packages and
>>updated samba-3.0.8 (it is configured to be PDC with LDAP sam database).
>>When I restart
>>samba, server appears in network and shares are working, but soon server
>>disappears.
>

> I think it's a bug in the version of nss_ldap included in FC2.  I run
> with this patch (removing an optimisation in our handling on LDAP).
> Perhaps the smbldap part of the changes are not required...

Hi Andrew,

What I have found is that 3.0.10 works fine on Fedora 1 and 2, but
3.0.11 and the 3.0.12 prerelease suffers the issue described by me
earlier and by Dimitry here. I built from SRPMS provided on samba.org in
all cases.

It is related to LDAP, as if I comment out the

passdb backend=ldapsam:ldap://localhost

directive from the config file, the errors from smbclient stop.
Unfortunately it doesn't use LDAP, which is what I want.

After restarting smbd/nmbd with 3.0.11 or 3.0.12pre1, I get a share list
and this error when I do smbclient -L localhost:

"session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available"

Then if I repeat smbclient -L localhost, I get the following only:

"protocol negotiation failed"

With the above smb.conf directive enabled, the LDAP logs show Samba
querying the LDAP server, and there doesn't appear to be a lot wrong
with whats happening. It just doesn't work right!

Is there a known working version of nss_ldap that we can try? Which
patch are you referring to?

Many thanks,

Phil