[Samba] Re: [homes] share problems

james james at idelta.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 02:50:19 GMT 2005

Robert <rob.smb <at> connectfree.co.uk> writes:

> I am experiencing the following problems with the [homes] shares.
> Using Samba 3.0.9 and winbind on SLES9 with NT PDC.
> Running wbinfo -a authenticates users ok but I cannot connect using
> smbclient.
> If I comment out 'valid users = %S' from [homes] in smb.conf then it is
> possible to connect using valid user/password combinations but otherwise
> I get
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> Could anyone please throw some light on this while I still have some
> hair left.
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Help also wanted with the same issue:-

I am using the the same version of Samba, same version of SLES and experiencing
an identical problem with the "valid users=%S" setting on the homes  share  - "
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED".

One key difference between my environment and Rob's is my environment is relying
on a Windows AD server for authentication and I am running smbclient -k.

smbclient work okay with the %S commented out but fails when uncommented

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

James