[Samba] Serious Slowness Issues with Printing

Kazsuk, Tim Tim_Kazsuk at homedepot.com
Thu Jun 30 16:12:06 GMT 2005

After some time looking into this problem, I was able to track the
slowness problem down to the smbpasswd file or what seems to be a
problem with the smbpasswd file and having the "security" option set to
"SHARE".

When we upgraded to 3.0.11, I moved over the previous smbpasswd file
from 2.0.7, which has all the entries for the 3,192 associates we have.
During the slowness I tried resetting some of the entries for those
associates having the worst problem (smbpasswd <username> <passwd>),
this did not work.  I tried moving the entries for those associates to
the top of the smbpasswd file, this did not work.  It wasn't until I
removed the smbpasswd file that I saw a difference.  I then went in and
removed the entry "smb passwd file=" via SWAT and things dramatically
sped up with access times on the Windows clients.

Can anyone shed some light on why this may be?  Is this the way it's
suppose to behave?  Are the others having issues with printing slowness
setup with the "security" option set to "SHARE" and a smbpasswd file
specified?

Regards,

Tim Kazsuk
Senior Systems Engineer