[Samba] samba 3.1 Mandrake 10.2

Andrzej Kaczmarczyk akaczmarczyk at visualsystems.com.pl
Thu Jun 30 13:51:01 GMT 2005

Hi
I tried to search for the aneswer but this is simply to much to browse.
And I am quite newbie.

Problem: I created a public share, onto which I can log no problem,
however I'd like to have homedirs available.

I added few of the users I want to have this feature to smbpasswd
but  can't log in.
The critical switch is a map to guest, as soon as I switch it from bad user
to anything else. I can't login at all.

obviously there is a problem with users.
I am trying to browse the share from WinXpSp2 in the same network
There is no domain - simple work group.

thx,
CUIN Kaczy

revelant parts of smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = VSGROUP
server string = Samba Server
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba31/log.%m
max log size = 50
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
printer admin = kaczy
hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
printing = lprng

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[public]
path = /var/samba/public
write list = @samba_vs
force group = samba_vs
read only = No
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 0775
guest ok = Yes

and smbpasswd
kaczy:501:0E0F278EBE739C8BAAD3B435B51404EE:A31E49989822C5355F59AFC04C030892:[U
 ]:LCT-42C2D606: