[Samba] Re: symbolic link problem

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 29 16:26:46 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:20:51PM +0000, Jeremy wrote:

>    Maybe I confused the issue by not specifying the real paths.
>    The symbolic links I am using are not actually to anything under
>    /home, most are to external scsi disks under /mnt
>
>    I need these external disks to be visible from a number of
>    other servers.
>
>    As for setting up nfs in the way described I was wondering
>    whether something like that was required. The only strange
>    thing is that symlinks on an old debian server we have here
>    work exactly as I want them too, but I can't seem to find out
>    what it is that makes them work ( NFS does not seem to be
>    set up on the debian ).

You're hitting the effects of the "unix extensions". Without
unix extensions on, the client can't detect a file is a symlink,
it just looks like a file and will be followed on the server.
With unix extensions on, the client can detect a file is a symlink
and (like with NFS) will follow it locally.

Your old debian server is probably before the unix extensions were
added to Samba. To make the client follow symlinks on the server
set "unix extensions = no".

Jeremy.