[Samba] symbolic link problem

Jeremy jeremy at sundayta.com
Wed Jun 29 09:38:11 GMT 2005

 Hi All,

        I'm having some annoying problems with symbolic links. I'm not
        certain they relate to samba but hopefully sone here can help
        anyway.

       I have a linux ( Mandrake 10.1 ) machine sharing various directories
       ( samba 3.0.7 ) with a network of linux ( also MDK 10.1 ) and windows
       machines.

       Within the shared directories are a number of symbolic links to
       files both inside and outside the shared directory ( follow symlinks
       and wide links are both set to yes )

       accessing these directories from a windows client all is well but, when
       I try to access them from Linux, the symbolic links do not work.
       After an hour or two of confusion I realised that it is looking for the
       linked directory on the client machine rather than the server.

       So for example ,on the client, when in directory /mnt/server1/dir1
       there is a symlink to a directory on server1 ( ln -s /home/fred fred ).
       if I do 'cd fred' it fails because /home/fred does not exist on the
       client.

       Of course on server1 typing 'cd fred' works.

       Am I making some stupid error here in expecting it to look on the
       server?

                                          cheers,

                                               Jeremy