[Samba] Creating a PDC

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Tue Jun 28 14:12:12 GMT 2005

Jason Greene schrieb:
> I am working my way through "Samba-3 by Example". I have created all the
> simple samba servers with ease as I have done them in the past with
> trial and error... this book makes it easy now.
>
> I'm stuck.
>
> While on page 118 it says to not go further without validating.
>
> Well, The server is there and when browsing the network I can see the
> Samba server.  When I try to connect it wants to authenticate.
>
> I put in MY user ID and Password and it just asks for it again. If I put
> in a bad username it will fail and tell me the username and password
> conflict with and existing set of credentials. I don't have any mapped
> drives to this server.
>
> Can some one assist me?
>
> I have followed the book on everything except the name and location of
> the shares.

Do you mean you have problems joining the domain or just browsing shares?

In any case, perhaps the first thing you might want to check are the
Samba logs located in /var/log/samba

There, look for YOUR_MACHINENAME.log.

Make sure you have log level set in smb.conf (3 is usually a good value).

Try removing YOUR_MACHINENAME.log, and then try to do the action that
causes you trouble - the log will appear again and you will probably
have a clue what is wrong.

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Tomek