[SAMBA] Documentation Licence question.

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jun 28 13:29:53 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 01:37, Molot wrote:
> i can't find licence information for the following files:
> http://hostopia.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf
> http://hostopia.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf
> As you see, they are two basic samba information sources, and I need
> to know if I can just print it and leave in computer lab for all who
> wish to avoid reading it from monitor.
> It is about 1300 pages total, so I need to make it the official way (I
> don't have that amount of paper now and want my University pay for
> this, you know ;> )

Thank-you for contacting us regarding your desires in respect of Samba
documentation.

I am the author of the book "Samba-3 by Example" and a lead author of the book
"The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide".

Both books have been released under the terms of the GPL. This means that you
may print and distribute, without change, as you wish. You may make changes
also, so long as you contribute back all changes made. The licensing terms
are at the back of the book in both cases.

Both books have been undergoing substantial revision over the past 5 months in
preparation for publication of second editions. Each book will have a new
ISBN number. The ISBN numbers below are for the first edition. The revision
of these books has been my full-time activity for over 4 months.

These books are being printed by Prentice Hall (Addison Wesley). Within the
next few days a new electronic book (the Samba Compendium) will be released
also by Osoft. This new book will consist of the two existing books plus
additional materials (about 1500 pages in total), but it will be published
only in electronic form. The contents of the second book are also all
released under the terms of the GPL.

I would prefer if you would purchase the books that you consider of value,
both to recompense the publisher and to contribute to the cost of updating
this material. Having said this, you are free to print and do as you wish so
long as you comply with the terms of the GPL.

Both second edition books will be released at LinuxWorld, San Francisco, and I
expect to be making a release announcement shortly before that date.

Kind regards,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra