[Samba] pdb_init_sam errors on upgrade to Samba 3

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 07:53:24 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have been running Samba 2.2 on a server without any problems until
recently. We're currently in the process of upgrading our aging NT
workstations, and replacing them with new machines running XP Pro.
Yesterday I was bitten by a printing problem, which I think is bug 1147
in the bug database. In order to fix this, I have upgraded the server to
Samba 3.0.14. It's running Debian Woody, so I've used packages from
backports.org for this.

Since this upgrade, I'm having a problem with at least 1 user account.
Whenever this user tries to connect to a share, Samba prompts for
authentication, and authetication always fails. I get the following
error in the log file:-

[2005/06/28 08:36:26, 0] auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1195)
  make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

It may be pertinent that this user has a different unix username from
Windows one, and I'm using the "username map" in samba to point to a
file with the mappings.

The Samba server is a domain member server, running with security=domain
and authenticating against an NT4 PDC (due to be replaced with
Samba/LDAP in due course).

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike.