[Samba] profiles when swapping samba servers

jonathan.wilson jonathan.wilson at odl.com
Mon Jun 27 13:50:05 GMT 2005

I have a network of mixed W2k and XP clients with an ancient Samba 2.2.2 server. The old Samba box is set up to allow roaming profiles (logon path=\\%L\%U\.profile, same for logon home), but recently all the users' profiles have been changed to 'local'.

Over the weekend I attempted to replace the Samba box with a new one running RHES4 (Samba 3.0.14.) I had the smb.conf set to allow local profiles (I thought) with empty "logon path=" and "logon home=" directives. The new Samba's SID was set to the same as the old one.

This was a disaster. The couple of PCs I played with on the new Samba lost their profiles completely.

Does anyone have any advice on retaining local profiles intact in this scenario?

Thank you,
Jonathan Wilson