[Samba] Question about new Inherit Owner option

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 10:33:44 GMT 2005

Apparently there's a new "Inherit Owner" option  for smb.conf that allows you
to configure Samba to set the owner of a new file  or directory based on
owner of the parent directory. That seems like a very  useful feature!

My question is, does "Inherit Owner" also work when you  MOVE a file from one
directory to another? In other words, if a file called  "text" is owned by
"bob" and it's in the "bob stuff" directory(which is owned by  bob), when you
move it to the "joe stuff" directory (which is owned by joe) will  the ownership
of "text" change to joe?

Or does this only work on  newly-created files?

And does it work on directories too?

Also,  when was "Inherit Owner" introduced? I have Samba 3.0.13 and don't
seem to have  it there. Was it 3.0.14?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Andy  Liebman