[Samba] [Q] Are passwords case-sensitive in samba 3?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Fri Jun 24 19:02:21 GMT 2005

>Maurice Volaski wrote:
>
>>  Apparently it was possible from Windows 2000 and XP clients
>>  to ignore the case of a mixed-case password and successfully
>  > logon users in samba-2.2.8a. Samba 3.0.14a-r1, however, is
>>  case-sensitive. (Passwords are stored in the smbpasswd file
>>  and encrypt passwords = Yes.)
>
>lanman passwords are case insensitive.  NTLM passwords are
>case sensitive.

Yes, but they appear to have been irrelevant under samba-2.2.8a
because W2K and XP seem to send the passwords in both forms.

In addition,  samba 3.0.14a-r1 has an option ntlm auth, which when
set to "no" is supposed to be disable NTLM password authentication,
but samba appears to ignore this option and always requires NTLM
passwords if the client offers them. I filed this as bug 2821.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu