[Samba] System Imaging

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Fri Jun 24 17:45:11 GMT 2005

> I am using Samba 3.0.20pre1 as a DC and I want to know if there is
> something similar to Deep Freeze www.faronics.com (except open source)
> for Linux.  Deep Freeze automatically compares the software installation
> on a client machine to an image on a server.  If the client machine
> differs, the client is automatically synced with the server.  I want to
> achieve this with Samba and a linux tool if possible.

I don't know what Deep Freeze is, but you can achieve a similar result
to one that you describe with WPKG - http://wpkg.org
Depending on how you configure it, it is able to install and/or remove
software on your workstations (according to the setup on the server side
- in this case it would be Samba).

So for example, you can configure it so that all clients (or groups of
your clients) set up to use it will have Acrobat, Firefox etc.
installed, and some other software deinstalled (for example, if you no
longer need to use Photoshop).

If you combine it with Unattended - http://unattended.sf.net - you will
have self-repairing network (like they write it on www.faronics.com - "A
simple restart restores your workstations down to the last bit and byte.").

--
Tomek