[Samba] Samba3 - small lan [2] - fstab & smbfstab

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jun 24 16:16:40 GMT 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 09:48, Serge Naggar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the second of 2 emails
>
> I have two essentially identical linux computers [east and west] both
> running Samba 3.0.9-2.6-suse with Suse linux pro 9.1 on a two machine
> lan - [east & west] connected by a hub.
>
> I am using `The Official Samba-3 HowTo & ref guide by Terpstra et al' as
> my samba reference.
>
> I am not clear which fstab to use.
>
>         /etc/samba/smbfstab indicates that it will mount the shares at
>         boot.
>         I tried it but nothing  happens. - no icon[s] appear on the
>         desktop.

Did you enable the smbfs service on SLES9?

	chkconfig smbfs on
	rcsmbfs start

>         /etc/fstab - when I put the share definitions in /fstab the
>         icons appear [unmounted] on the desktop.
>
> I am not clear why the /etc/samba/smbfstab is not working.

Maybe you can answer that now.

> Can you help?

Well, there is free support, paid support, and support that is paid at a rate
high enough to give you the right answer. What level of help do you want? :-)

- John T.