[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to somethin gelse?

AWC Lists maillists at awcconsulting.com
Thu Jun 23 17:59:33 GMT 2005

Paul Gienger wrote:
>>On 23 Jun 2005, at 16:12, Geoff Scott wrote:
>>

>>>So do I completely restart all smbd processes, or do I have to
>>>restart every
>>>windows box before the server string (windows title bar) changes?
>>
>>Yes and yes.
>

> Actually, I think the correct answer here is no and not even close.
>
> For the server reporting, I think that's one of those things that gets
> picked up by the refresh of the config file that happens every couple of
> minutes or so.
>
> The real reason I bothered to reply though, is that the windows clients will
> hold on to that server string for a LOOOOONG time, like forever.  When I
> took over sysadmin here, the server's comment was 'samba mania' running like
> 2.2.0 or something.  A year later, I had gone up to something in the range
> of 2.2.8a and re-commented the server to something like 'Fargo server', but
> every machine that hadn't been replaced or rebuilt still had "ntapps on
> samba mainia(fgoserv)(N:)" or whatever the format of that line is, as their
> drive mappings.

I'll second that.  I just tried connecting to the server in question
with a machine that had never connected to the samba server yet.  When I
browse the shares and such, the server name is correctly listed when
browsing as ROI Fileserver (ie:  server string = ROI Fileserver) even
when browsing shares.

BUT, the machine that has already connected to the samba server
continues to say "Samba 3.0.14-2" even after shutting down the entire
network (including samba server).  So for some reason the new server
string is not being picked up by the first Windows XP SP2 machine - it
just merrily uses what it read the first time apparently forever.

I am unsure if this is a Windows issue or a Samba issue, but it is a
definite condition that I can replicate on Windows XP SP2.  For fun, I
changed the "server string" entry again, and the 2nd machine (that
picked up the new server string when it was originally connected to the
server for the first time) now refuses to pickup the new server string
entry.

So from what I can tell, only newly deployed machines or reimaged
machines will pickup any "server string =" changes.  Machines already
connected will not pickup this change.

I'm happy to provide more information about my setup if that would be
helpful in trying to determine what is happening here.

Cheers.