[Samba] Problems with connecting from Windows XP PC

Bell, Edward ted.bell at lstrillium.com
Thu Jun 23 13:53:05 GMT 2005

I am having a few problems and hope someone can offer some advice. I have set up SAMBA on a new Debian server connected to two XP workstations. Neither XP workstation will authenticate with the server. I have followed the 'How to Install and Test SAMBA' instructions, but cannot run smbclient -L server_name as required in the third test, I get the response 'command not found'.

Having just downloaded the distribution, I believe I am using the latest version of SAMBA, I am running version 3.0.14a-3 according to package manager in KDE.

When using {c:\> net use e: \\servername\service} I get invalid username or password, I have checked that both machines are on the same workgroup and have added the user on XP to the server with the same password. I can see nothing obviously wrong with smv.conf, and have followed the advice in the how-to.

Regards

Edward Bell