[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to somethin g else?

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Thu Jun 23 05:04:49 GMT 2005

>> It would be much nicer to see:
>> "Office on 'DataServer (roipdc)' (G:)"
>>
>> Heck I could even live with:
>> "Office on 'Samba (roipdc)' (G:)"
>> I personally do not see the need for end users to have the version
>> number announced to them to be honest.
>>
>> I was hoping there was a simple not well documented setting in
>> smb.conf that would be able to do this.  If not, I would personally
>> like to have that ability added.
>>
>> Anyone else care to comment or have any ideas?
>>
>> Gerry, thanks for the suggestion - I'll likely play around with it on
>> a non-production test machine sometime soon.  But I am always
>> hesitant to deploy a non-standard hack like this into a production
>> machine.
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> Perhaps the dev people are justifiably proud of what they have created.  So
> they want everyone to know what is running on the server.  But I agree with
> the original poster that it is annoying having to explain to my users what
> Samba is, what it does etc  Currently they look at me blankly when I say
> things like "have you mapped the network drive"  (just to give you an idea
> of my user populations IT knowledge!)

it's rather weird situation in my opinion.

samba is completely free software, if You don't pay money for it, why
developers should be responsible for not guessing your thoughts ? You are
free to choose between reading documentation (and changing "comment=" to
whatever You want to) and choosing paid software with paid support, so
other people will read documentation and do what You want them to do.

Your way of asking is very strange, sure.