[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to somethin g else?

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Thu Jun 23 04:53:13 GMT 2005

> It would be much nicer to see:
> "Office on 'DataServer (roipdc)' (G:)"
>
> Heck I could even live with:
> "Office on 'Samba (roipdc)' (G:)"
> I personally do not see the need for end users to have the version
> number announced to them to be honest.
>
> I was hoping there was a simple not well documented setting in
> smb.conf that would be able to do this.  If not, I would personally
> like to have that ability added.
>
> Anyone else care to comment or have any ideas?
>
> Gerry, thanks for the suggestion - I'll likely play around with it on
> a non-production test machine sometime soon.  But I am always
> hesitant to deploy a non-standard hack like this into a production
> machine.
>
> Cheers.

Perhaps the dev people are justifiably proud of what they have created.  So
they want everyone to know what is running on the server.  But I agree with
the original poster that it is annoying having to explain to my users what
Samba is, what it does etc  Currently they look at me blankly when I say
things like "have you mapped the network drive"  (just to give you an idea
of my user populations IT knowledge!)

Regards Geoff Scott