[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to something else?

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at apf.edu.au
Thu Jun 23 02:42:34 GMT 2005

On 23 Jun 2005, at 10:42, AWC Lists wrote:

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
>>> I want to change the Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2] being announced to
>>> something else.  I would like Server=[DataServer]
>>> as I do not want the server annoucing to the world it is
>>> running samba.  How would I do this?

I've obviously missed something in this discussion... isn't the
setting you're after just "comment = Dataserver" in the global section?

There are two parameters of interest here - "server string" and
"comment". One of them shows up in the network browser view, the
other shows up in the "My Computer" view next to the mapped drive.

No need to go messing about with code!

The two attached pictures show the results of:

    comment = Australian Phenomics Facility
    server string = Mendel (APF)

Note that Windows XP apparently sticks the human-entered UNC name
after the network drive (thus "(mendel)"), but uses the NetBIOS name
after the server in the network browse window (thus "(Mendel)").
Don't you love consistency? The display looks a bit odd when I use
"Mendel(APF)" for the comment too, since the drive becomes, "alex on
'Mendel (APF) (mendel)' (H:)".

This is using Windows XP on the client side, Samba from the Sarge
Debian package on the server side. Notice the distinct lack of
"Samba" or any version number anywhere the user can see.

Alex

Picture 1 (portion of display from My Computer window):