[Samba] How to I change server=[Samba 3.04.14a-2] to something else?

AWC Lists maillists at awcconsulting.com
Wed Jun 22 21:25:06 GMT 2005

So I have setup my samba box as a PDC and everything is working fine.
There is one thing that keeps bugging me:
When I run locallly:  smbclient -L localhost -U%
I get the following:
-----------------------------
Domain=[MYDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (ROI Fileserver)
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        profiles        Disk      Profile Share
        office          Disk      Primary data share
        management      Disk      Data share for management only
        awc             Disk      AWC drivers storage
        apps            Disk      Application Files
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (ROI Fileserver)
Domain=[MYDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MYSERVER             My Fileserver

So I have set the "Server string" to "My Fileserver", which shows up
correctly in the comment.

I want to change the Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2] being announced to
something else.  I would like Server=[DataServer] as I do not want the
server annoucing to the world it is running samba.  How would I do this?

I want to do this as when you browse shares in Windows XP its plunks
"Samba 3.0.14a-2" into the task bar.

Thanks in advance.

--- Charles