[Samba] Windows 2003 AD users not found

Joseph Preston Schmigel (RIT Student) jps0695 at rit.edu
Wed Jun 22 20:14:42 GMT 2005

I recently changed from Windows 2000 native active directory mode to
Windows 2003  active directory mode.  When I did that, users could no
long connect to any of the Samba shares.  They were prompted for a
username and password.  The following error was logged in the winbind
log:

[2005/06/22 14:38:46, 1]
nsswitch/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_getpwnam(161)
  user 'John' does not exist

The user John does exist in the active directory.  I ran getent passwd
to see if the user John was listed and indeed he was.  I then tried
accessing the share again and it worked fine.  A little bit later, it
stopped working again.  I found out that by running getent passwd,
shares are accessaable for a short period of time but then the users
are not found again by Samba until I run getent passwd again.

Version Info:
krb5: 1.2.7
samba: 3.0.9

smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = 40SERVER1
        realm = ascad.insideasc.com
        password server = bethe.ascad.insideasc.com
        server string =
        security = ADS
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log